Music Banter - View Single Post - Metal & Rock Music Recommendations
View Single Post
Old 07-30-2011, 11:05 AM   #810 (permalink)
Unknown Soldier
Horribly Creative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
Isn't that the nature of being overrated?
That`s just the point, I never saw Nirvana as ever being overrated but being rated just about right for their quality and originality (yep you heard right, I said originality!) Problem was that most people fell in love with them and thats where the overrated tag first came in from rocksters etc. The whole thing got worse, when all the popsters quickly fell in love with them as well, which was most startling, as most of these people wouldn`t have listened to anything as loud or abrasive as Nirvana in a million years under normal circumstances, but thanks to the massive publicity the band got back in the 90s they appealed to most people. I remember vividly as well, back when Nevermind first came out and the videos of the first singles off that album were also on TV, the amount of people that become Nirvana fans overnight was startling and these were people that wouldn`t have normally listened to anything much heavier than say a Bon Jovi or Dire Straits record!

Bands like Nirvana, Led Zeppelin (popsters wouldn`t really dig them) and the Beatles etc are rated just right imo as being amongst the best of their generation, which automatically puts them in the firing line for getting the overrated label.
Unknown Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote