Music Banter - View Single Post - The Playlist of Life --- Trollheart's resurrected Journal
View Single Post
Old 07-30-2011, 05:38 PM   #105 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

You guys may not (will not) know this, but I used to work for a very local radio station, here in Dublin, and part of my weekly four-hour show was devoted to love songs, which I called The Tunnel of Love. I don't do radio work anymore, but in an effort to share some of the songs I consider the finest slow songs ever written, I'm sort of resurrecting that show. This part of my journal will be written in the style of that radio show (without the obligatory ads!), and will feature some of my favourite ballads, love songs, soppy songs, call them what you will, they're the songs you put on when you want to chill out and relax, or bring down the lights, if ya gets my meanings.... heh heh.

I'll be posting the songs that mean most to me, or that I just really like, and talking a little about each. They'll be posted in batches of seven (why? Cos it's my lucky number!) and unlike my other stuff will not be uploaded, as they'll all be here in YouTube form. Some may have cropped up in previous album reviews or other posts. I don't know if this “faux radio” format will be popular or not, successful or no, as I've never tried it before, but hey, it's different. If you don't think it works, if it comes across as too narcissistic, too boring, too annoying, whatever, just let me know.

As usual, comment is invited. By all means, if there are songs that mean a lot to you that you would like featured (requests, as it were), just let me know, and if I have or can get them, I'll include them in one of the selections. I can dedicate a song to someone who means something to you, if you want, or relate a personal story you wish to share. Anyway, we'll see how it goes.

So, tuning in.....

Hey, welcome along and thanks for tuning to Trollheart's Tunnel of Love. We have some really gorgeous tunes for you, and first up is one I consider to be one of the most moving, emotional and expressive lovesongs ever written, “Angel” by Sarah McLachlan. Every time I hear this I just break down. Hey, I'm only human! See if you can hold back the tears. Simple, piano-based melody by a woman with a truly soulful voice. Magnificent.

Christy Moore is a real institution in Ireland, and he's had some great songs down the decades. This, however, I consider to be by far his best, written by Jimmy McCarthy, beautiful acoustic guitar, with stunning strings. “Ride on” just takes you places other songs can't...

Let's not forget that Rod Stewart has had his share of lovely ballads, among them “First cut is the deepest” (the old Cat Stevens number) and of course “Sailing”, but this is my favourite by him, also covered by Everything But The Girl, but I prefer his version. This is “I don't want to talk about it”.

Natasha Bedingfield is not someone you'll find in my record collection, but I must admit I loved this single, “Soulmate”. It's a surprisingly mature song from someone I would normally associate, perhaps wrongly, with more or less vacuous pop songs. Mind you, I did suffer through her entire “NB” album, and I have to say this is the exception to the rule, as far as that goes. Powerful song. Give it a listen.

And keeping with the ladies, Nanci Griffith has long been a favourite of mine. This is from her album “Lone star state of mind”, a gentle little song that became a hit for her, but was written by Julie Gold. This is “From a distance”.

Neil Hannon, also known as the Divine Comedy, knows how to write great ballads, and this is from his album “A short album about love”, the excellent “Someone”.

And to wrap up this first edition of “Trollheart's Tunnel of Love”, the original and the best, a classic among classics from Harry Nilsson, the superlative “Without you”. Maria who?

That's it for the first show, as it were. Hope you enjoyed it, and as I say, any suggestions, feedback, requests for inclusion, just post and let me know. Thanks for being here, and we hope you'll tune our way again very soon.

For now, it's goodnight and peaceful thoughts....

Last edited by Trollheart; 11-04-2011 at 01:15 PM.
Trollheart is offline   Reply With Quote