Music Banter - View Single Post - Post-Rock Thread
View Single Post
Old 07-31-2011, 03:40 PM   #490 (permalink)
Ashbery
Groupie

Too many pages to see if any of this has been mentioned before, but here are a few tunes I like.

Pram: It's difficult to say if they're actually post-rock or not, but I don't know what else I would call them. Very diverse discography with a lot of interesting sounds. My favorite is Dark Island which is probably their most cohesive album. If noir post-rock were a real genre, Dark Island would be king.

contrasting the rest of their discography with their first album (Gash, 1992) makes for one of the most impressive sound shifts of any music career that I know of

Long Fin Killie: This group kind of demands that you like the singer in order to enjoy their sound. I'm not always a big fan of effeminate male vocals, but for some reason I think this guy has a really attractive style. They're bass heavy and have some bipolarity going on at times. Long Fin Killie definitely has one of the most unique musical personalities I've heard in the post-rock scene.

Quickspace: Kind of a post-rock group with a pseudo-punk approach. They have amazing guitar work and a really raw sound. Oh yeah, and they occasionally use a theremin, which I think is a criminally underrated instrument.