Music Banter - View Single Post - The Big Bang AKA Where The **** Did It All Start?
View Single Post
Old 08-01-2011, 04:58 PM   #84 (permalink)
skaltezon
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by oojay View Post
With the energy being constant, and the speed of light being constant, the following is how I see it going down:

e = m * (c^2) (where e=energy, m=mass, c=speed of light), therefor:
m = e / (c^2)
With the energy of the universe being virtually infinite, we get:
m = infinity / (c^2) = infinity
Therefor, the mass of the universe is infinite.

d = (m / v) (where d=density, m=mass, v=volume)
The volume of the multiverse is finite, it has an exact and unchanging volume.
With mass being infinite, we get:
m = (d * v) = infinity
Since (d * v) is infinite, and v is finite, then that makes d infinite.

In summation:
Mass is infinite and constant.
Volume is finite, but not constant.
Density is infinite, but not constant.
Energy is infinite and constant.

It's just a constant cycle that has always been, and always will be. This is a hard theory to wrap your head around, but no harder than religion or "God." I doubt that this will do much to prove or even get us any closer to getting the answer that we are looking for, as I'm probably just talking out of my ass, but that's my shot at it.

It can never end, thus, it never began. It just "is." Makes no sense, but just as much sense as everything else.
Very entertaining. But your 'virtually-infinite' energy isn't the same as 'infinite' energy. 'Virtually-infinite' suggests something finite and theoretically measurable. But we aren't capable of measuring anything that's infinite, even theoretically. Therefore we can't talk about an infinite quantity in any meaningful way. Also, you converted 'virtually-infinite' energy to 'infinite' mass, which is inconsistent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Il Duce View Post
i actually do have a working knowledge of the theory behind all this (or did have)

i think the quantum mechanical theory of things just appearing out of nowhere feasible for me (I can't exactly remember the quantum physical mechanics behind this)
Virtual particles being created in a strong gravitational field? It's how Hawking gets his black holes to evaporate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ska Lagos Jew Sun Ra View Post
I mean, if you ask me, I think the fact we have an entirely self dictating universe is astounding in it's own. Like God, it's mysterious, and beyond human's understand of function. Unlike 'God', it's really just an autonomous force without a human-like method of deduction. IE. has no motive.
That isn't a fact, as you call it. Our relationship with the universe is from an extremely remote perspective, from the bottom of a gravity well on a speck of dust. At present there's no way of determining whether the universe is 'self-dictating' or has a 'motive'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crukster View Post
I think the mystical crap is a place holder for what we don't yet understand.
I agree, except that to call it crap suggests it isn't worth understanding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian E Coleman View Post
So why are you guys trying to define what God is anyway? If there is this much dispute over what the word means, than is it a useful word at all? No.
Amen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu View Post
I find the question of 'where did it all begin?' terrifying. I cannot even begin to fathom the concept of 'nothingness', but surely, at some point, that's all there must have been, right?

Uh, thinking about it is like staring into oblivion.
Maybe the concepts of 'time' and 'cause-and-effect' are just artifacts of the human brain that used to help our understanding but now are hindering it. All the rules we've invented to describe what we see may be dependent on our biology.

Last edited by skaltezon; 08-02-2011 at 07:05 AM.
skaltezon is offline   Reply With Quote