Music Banter - View Single Post - Amy Winehouse
Thread: Amy Winehouse
View Single Post
Old 08-01-2011, 07:21 PM   #244 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

Continuing the discussion from the "Amy Winehouse is Pronounced Dead" thread http://www.musicbanter.com/general-m...ml#post1088171 :

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaltezon View Post
I disagree. This is simply a thread about Amy Winehouse. Whether someone chooses to pay tribute is a matter of personal choice.
I agree.

Quote:
I haven't insulted anyone. The policy of this site is not to assign a purpose to a thread discussing a particular person.
I agree. For example, if I wanted to start a thread dedicated to Amy Winehouse's videos so that people could post them, I might be told that I should keep them in *this* thread.

Quote:
Yes, but we're not a funeral parlor. People should be allowed to disagree with your premise that Miss Winehouse was the exemplary figure you make her out to be.
I agree.

Well, skaltezon, here we are in the other thread, since a moderator decided that Amy's Death thread can only contain sentiments like "R.I.P." (as if there were or is peace after death). What do you feel about Amy Winehouse's death?

I wonder...if Amy Winehouse had been a mass murderer musician, would people allow a thread about her death to contain any gleeful gloating or disrespect?

As you recall, some people over in the "Amy Winehouse Pronounced Dead" thread weren't very sympathic toward her since she was addicted to alcohol and other drugs. I wrote in a post that the mods deleted that I wish people who feel Winehouse got what she deserved would recall the words of former First Lady Betty Ford (recently deceased):

Quote:
Betty Ford - on Addictions

"It's an insidious thing, and I mean to rid myself of its damaging effects," she said of her multiple addictions. It involved a battle she had waged all through her public life

Her very name became synonymous with intensive, serious rehab treatment for a disease that can hit anyone — a disease, she explained, not loose morals or lack of willpower.

http://www.time.com/time/nation/arti...082229,00.html
I'm afraid people have forgotten Betty Ford's message. If they understood it, they might not be so unsympathetic toward Amy Winehouse's struggles with addictions.

Finally, what do you think of Amy's music? I didn't like it.
If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"

Last edited by VEGANGELICA; 08-01-2011 at 08:01 PM. Reason: Added Betty Ford's quote about the cause of addictions
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote