Music Banter - View Single Post - The Instrument Recommendation thread
View Single Post
Old 08-01-2011, 07:38 PM   #65 (permalink)
lucifer_sam
Unrepentant Ass-Mod

I'm back here after a brief respite 'cuz I need a bit of advice.

I'm in the market for a new guitar to compliment my amp (a Vox AC-30CC2) and I'm pretty much lost in the direction I want to go. I want to have a full sound with a warm, well-balanced tone so I've been looking almost exclusively at hollowbody and semi-hollowbody electrics. The issue is that almost all of them worth looking at are priced well beyond my reach (ex. Gibson ES-335, Gretsch Falcon, Rickenbacker 360). Which leaves me in a bit of a dilemma...

I can either: a) settle for a lower quality Gretsch, Epiphone Sheridan, Ibanez or 2) feck it all and end up getting something quirky (read: easily induced feedback) on the solid body side like a Jaguar/Jazzmaster, Danelectro or the like. Neither decision really appeals to me at this point, so I was hoping for some direction from the wise members here on possible compromises I could make. I'm not averse to looking at unusual makes or models; I've even been strongly considering a Vox hollowbody. Budget of $1500.

The general guitar sound I'm looking for lies somewhere between the Brian Jonestown Massacre and Spacemen 3, if that makes any sense.
lucifer_sam is offline   Reply With Quote