Music Banter - View Single Post - Marilyn Manson
Thread: Marilyn Manson
View Single Post
Old 08-02-2011, 06:07 AM   #188 (permalink)
Unknown Soldier
Horribly Creative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Connoisseur View Post
I'd rather go to Cirque du Soleil to see strange visual things coupled with music than Manson expressing himself to me on stage. In terms of rock music, there has to be music to build upon with the image which I think Manson doesn't have, therefore his image comes off as baseless and hollow to me. Maynard James Keenan and Peter Gabriel have been known to dress in different ways on stage and yet the image never detracted from the music and didn't solely seek to build up the man (as I feel in the case of Manson) but only served to promote the music as you said above.
I agree about the hollow and baseless image that MM has, it just basically concentrates itself around finding new ways to shock society through being crude and vulgar, and choosing which element of society he wants to annoy and cause a sensation with. The music is just an aggressive industrial sounding monotony which turns out to be just as hollow as his image.

Now take a real artist like Alice Cooper, now there was a true artist who really knew how to shock through well thought out theatrics and most importantly without the need to resort to the crude diatribe that MM churns out.

Basically MM should jack in the music business and go into starring in low budget horror flicks.
Unknown Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote