Music Banter - View Single Post - Wait Long By the River and the Bodies of Your Enemies Will Float By by The Drones
View Single Post
Old 08-02-2011, 08:20 AM   #2 (permalink)
Zer0

I had confused this band with the punk/post-punk band The Drones, who turns out were from the UK, so I was kind of expecting a post-punk album of sorts because I'd heard a couple of songs from them before. But when I read up on the Australian Drones they kind of seemed cool as well.

The album is decent enough I guess. There's some really good bluesy guitar work on it that reminds me of Neil Young + Crazy Horse at times, and the production is top-notch as well with the guitars coming through loud and clear. The thing that kind of puts me off though are the vocals, the singer sounds like he was piss drunk in the studio at the time of recording his vocals or something. While they don't sound too bad at times there are other times where they just sound grating and really off-putting. The album kind of drags on a bit towards the last couple of songs as well.

Apart from that though this album will make a great soundtrack for driving across the Australian outback, drinking a bottle of whiskey behind the wheel, and a dead body in the back. I probably won't be revisiting this album to often but I'll give it a few more spins too see if it grows on me a bit more.