Music Banter - View Single Post - Marilyn Manson
Thread: Marilyn Manson
View Single Post
Old 08-02-2011, 11:05 AM   #194 (permalink)
Janszoon
Mate, Spawn & Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Connoisseur View Post
I don't feel that way. Manson's image is extremely calculated. Imagine the reaction from his fans if he all of a sudden dropped his image and came out on stage with no make up wearing only jeans and a t-shirt. As a point of reference, when Pantera dropped their 80's glam image in exchange for the one we all associate them with, I don't believe they did so in order to pander to a certain audience. In fact, I find that it was the other way around. Their years as a glam band were an effort to appeal to a trend that was hot at the time. When they just dressed like they normally would, I don't see how they could have been trying to appeal to anyone since metal was deemed dead by many in the early 90's pending the grunge explosion.
Pantera was absolutely trying to pander to a certain audience, or keep current if you will. When the 90s rolled around, looking gritty and "real" became the new cool thing instead of looking glammy so Pantera changed their look to appeal to the new generation of rowdy teens.
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote