Music Banter - View Single Post - The Big Bang AKA Where The **** Did It All Start?
View Single Post
Old 08-02-2011, 05:11 PM   #86 (permalink)
lucifer_sam
Unrepentant Ass-Mod

I've formed hypotheses in regards to the origin of the universe, more specifically the origin of time, but I dunno if I'd be able to convey them properly...

My basic premise is there is no such thing as time, or at least time as a dimension which could be considered disparate from spatial dimensions. In layman's terms, the only way we've ever been able to prove the existence of time is to say that things happen. And indeed, we've only ever measured time by the passage of one event to the next, regardless of whether that event is the revolution of the Earth or the infinitesimal switching of atomic polarities of a Cesium atom.

Imagine all of the events of the universe, spread out before you like an enormous film strip: from the singularity event to whatever annihilation awaits us all at the end of days. You can see that despite the immense complexity of it all, time viewed in this manner is simply another spatial dimension demarcating the progress of the universe's unraveling.

One of the implications of this hypothesis is to nullify the existence of a supposed "great crunch," because time becomes inextricably tied to the expansion of the universe, and once that reaches its apex, well, time no longer exists. The behavior of the universe -- its purported expansion and inflation -- would be governed by higher-order mathematics of which I don't have the capacity to deduct.

I will say that regardless of whether any of these assumptions are correct, astrophysics remains one of the truly sketchy sciences; I strongly doubt even the most cogent astrophysicist has a clue as to what really happened in the beginning. But then again, science has never been about getting it right, only getting it less wrong.