Music Banter - View Single Post - The Big Bang AKA Where The **** Did It All Start?
View Single Post
Old 08-03-2011, 12:01 AM   #94 (permalink)
skaltezon
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifer_sam View Post
Sure you can, it functions the same as any other variable in the mathematical world. It just so happens 'infinity' is the upper limit for all numerical calculations. Replace (infinity) with (x) or any other suitable variable and take the limit as x approaches infinity, you arrive at the same answer. I may have made gross simplifications and egregious assumptions on my way there, but all I was trying to illustrate was a very simple premise: an infinite universe cannot expand.

Which you could arrive at using logical arguments too, I suppose.
Ah, a math man.

Sorry, but infinity can't be a variable. X can *approach* infinity (which is just another way of saying it can increase without limit) through numbers within its domain, and you can calculate the limit of functions of x as x approaches infinity if the limit exists (if the limit is a number). If the limit itself approaches infinity, then there is no limit. X and functions of x can never equal infinity because infinity isn't a number. Mathematical operations on non-numbers are undefined.

Infinities are interesting because no one has ever seen one. I don't think anyone can describe the consequences of an infinite anything, because we don't know what the rules are. Your intuitive sense that something without limits can't possibly get any larger seems reasonable, though.

Last edited by skaltezon; 08-03-2011 at 05:47 AM.
skaltezon is offline   Reply With Quote