Music Banter - View Single Post - Pop vs Alternative
View Single Post
Old 08-03-2011, 12:02 AM   #11 (permalink)
Neapolitan
carpe musicam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Il Duce View Post
Chinese
Szechuan or Cantonese?

Quote:
Originally Posted by funddies View Post
Having a disagreement with some friends and want to settle it with a few ppl in my corner. What is better: pop or alternative. And why?
Pop is anything on the pop charts and the artist could have any style it's doesn't have a strict sound and really isn't based on a genre - it's based on popularity and sales. Alternative used to mean something, but now it an umbrella term for all kind of things, I've seen music labeled as Adult Alternative or Classic Alternative (which could be anything from UK Punk to Seattle Grunge to Post Grunge) Not everything in Alternative is automatically good music because of the name.

It's easy to think Pop Vs Alt but their also can be a divide in opinions within Pop fans or Alt fans themselves. Some fans feel the best Alternative band imo is better than any pop star mentioned but among the Alt fans I doubt if they can agree which band is the best or even hate a band mentioned as the best - and same thing happens withing Pop.

Generally a Alternative Rock band plays all their instruments and write their own songs, while most Pop artists rely on others there are studio bands, back up singers, lyricists who write songs producers who control much of their music and when they tour whole entourage involved choreographers, dancer etc etc.

I like the DIY attitude of Alternative band who write their own music and play their own instruments. They seem down to Earth and what you see is what you get there is not all that flash as with Pop artist that has nothing to do with music. So in some cases Alt > Pop.

"it counts in our hearts" ?ºº?
“I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion.” Jack Kerouac.
“If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will become the wrong kind of person.” Aristotle.
"If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." John Lennon
"I look for ambiguity when I'm writing because life is ambiguous." Keith Richards
Neapolitan is offline   Reply With Quote