Music Banter - View Single Post - 101 Albums That May Not Change Your Life But I Really Like and You Might Too
View Single Post
Old 08-03-2011, 04:33 PM   #121 (permalink)
LoathsomePete
Cardboard Box Realtor

75. Mogwai - Government Commissions BBC Sessions 1996-2003 (2005)
Genre: Post-rock

Tracklist

01. Hunted by a Freak
02. R U Still In 2 It
03. New Paths to Helicon Pt. 2
04. Kappa
05. Cody
06. Like Herod
07. Secret Pint
08. Superheroes of BMX
09. New Paths to Helicon Pt. 1
10. Stop Coming to My House

Probably the only compilation album I will include on this list. I'm sure someone will wonder why I chose this album over Young Team or Happy Songs for Happy People. Honestly I don't know, generally I stay away from compilation albums because it kind of feels like reading the cliff notes of a book, it kind of feels like cheating. Yet there's just something about this album in particular that I keep coming back to.

I love how the album really takes you through Mogwai's years, showcasing their expanded sound. It's also nice how they haven't ordered the songs in a way that would clearly indicate their evolved sound. The album actually starts off with one of their 2003 hits "Hunted By A Freak" which is far more full and shimmering, giving off that pure post-rock sound, then towards the end of the album you're given one of their '97 EP's which is incredible sparse and dragged out songs. In the middle you're treated to quite possibly their greatest song (and best version) "Like Herod" which uses a loud/soft dynamic that has some truly wondrous rif***e action going on. It definitely reminds you that post-rock doesn't always have to be beautiful quiet full sounds, that it is allowed to rock out every now and then.

The album does suffer from the typical post-rock trend of just dragging on for too long. I know it's part of the allure to post-rock, but some songs just go on for far longer than they need to.

The recording and production quality on this album really do deserve a mention because of how crisp, clean, and clear everything is. You get a decent quality copy of this and I wouldn't be surprised if you could hear one of them breathing at some point. It is also very nice to hear John Peel introduce the band at the beginning of the album.

Post-rock is always hard to write about because you can only use pretty adjectives for so long until you actually have to start making actual points. However how can you really describe a post-rock album without just using pretty adjectives?

It's a tight rope, if you like post-rock you've probably already listened to this album a million times already so it will be yet another ego stroke to a popular band , and if you don't like post-rock, I can't say this will change your mind, but give it a try.

LoathsomePete is offline   Reply With Quote