Music Banter - View Single Post - The Beauty Of Film
View Single Post
Old 08-04-2011, 06:04 PM   #5 (permalink)
jackhammer
Ba and Be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifer_sam View Post
I think the metaphysical themes in the Fountain were probably overlooked by the greater portion of the public. Especially the whole climactic sequence where the true nature of the Fountain of Life/Tree of Knowledge was illustrated. That being said, the cinematography was some of the best of any films of Darren Aronofsky.

On a larger note, I completely disagree with your viewpoint that a film can't be both cerebral and accessible. Shit, look at Aronofsky's most recent film, Black Swan, or Christopher Nolan's Inception, both of which came out last year and were reasonably successful. I'm not saying that either film was as ambitious as the Fountain, but I think with proof of their successes, major studios might risk larger budgets on more academic filmmakers.

I might venture forth an opinionated diatribe on the merits of Andrei Tarkovsky sometime later. That is, once I figure out what the hell he was doing in his films.
I alluded to this but never mentioned this at all. The purpose primarily for this thread is to showcase movies that have much going on than mere plot and show why many of us are film buffs and look for many facets of a film that may not always be apparent.

I agree with you on the metaphysical aspects of this film but as said before, I am trying to concentrate less on the plot of the films and talk about other aspects of a film that appeal to me.

“A cynic by experience, a romantic by inclination and now a hero by necessity.”
jackhammer is offline   Reply With Quote