Music Banter - View Single Post - Your Day
Thread: Your Day
View Single Post
Old 08-05-2011, 07:17 PM   #16657 (permalink)
jackhammer
Ba and Be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurora View Post
Tomorrow I am going to try going cold turkey with cigarettes. Any tips?! Wish me luck. I'm not trying to be too optimistic it'll make falling off the wagon hurt less.

Edit: why is ***s censored again?!
I call them tabs to make it easier for MB!

I have quit so many times and I always go cold turkey. I once gave up for 2 years but started again which is probably the worse thing to do with your body.

The problem I have is that I originally started smoking after a few beers and only smoked when I was drinking but as that became more frequent the smoking filtered through to everyday life.

A tab goes so well with a drink, I always relapse when I have a drink and have started smoking again many times in the early hours. The other times I found hard was after a cup of coffee or a decent curry or something spicy as it just seems to be more pleasurable.

You may have an advantage if you DON'T smoke when you have a few drinks, and can control the cravings better with a more cohesive mindset.

The usual things will help - an inexhaustible supply of chewing gum, containment of stress and not going to 3 day music festivals that hand out free packs of tabs! This is how I broke my 2 year hiatus a while back and it has lead to my mate now being a smoker too after never smoking until he was 36!

Good luck though and expect to put a few pounds on as your hands just have that need to do something and food is usually the replacement.

On a positive note my dad smoked 60-80 a day when I was a kid and gave up around 6 years ago and is still smoke free, so if he can kick the habit in his 50s after decades of smoking then it can be done. He doesn't drink though and that is my downfall especially regarding tabs.

“A cynic by experience, a romantic by inclination and now a hero by necessity.”
jackhammer is offline   Reply With Quote