Music Banter - View Single Post - The Playlist of Life --- Trollheart's resurrected Journal
View Single Post
Old 08-06-2011, 12:25 PM   #126 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Random Track of the Day
Saturday, August 6 2011

I tell ya, never mind Tumor's pushing a rock up a slope in Hell (see his journal for some incredible writing, but you had better not be squeamish! Or the Devil...), I'm getting mightily tired of rolling this gigantic three-thousand-sided die to try to determine what the Random Track of the Day is going to be. And the neighbours are starting to get suspicious as to what that noise is as I push it over. But hey, it's all in a good cause, and this is Saturday, so the Gods of Chance will be down the pub taking a well-earned day off, right? Gods don't work on the weekend, unlike we mortals.

Maybe not, but their influence is still present, and yes, after tricking me yesterday into thinking I'd get something simple, like maybe a track from Coldplay (shut up!) or a hit single from George Michael (I SAID, shut UP!), maybe even a track from the new Pendragon album, what do I get? I'll tell you what I get.

Classical music.

Oh don't get me wrong: I love classical, but as esoteric choices and arbitrary picks go, this is right up there with the best. But hey ho, it's all the luck of the draw, as they say, and you never know, you might actually learn something if you listen to one of the great composers of all time. Look, it has to be better than listening to Justin Bieber, doesn't it? Of course, getting run over by a stampeding herd of diarrarhetic bulls has to be better than listening to Justin Bieber! Never fear, the Evil One shall never darken my music collection, so you won't be subjected to his off-key caterwaulings here. Of course, I can't say the same for Tumor... heh heh.

So aaaaanyway... here he is, in all his splendour, all the way from the nineteenth century and ready to rock your world (well, not really), Felix Mendelssohn and his Violin Concerto in E minor. Maestro, if you please....

Violin concerto in E Minor, 2nd movement---Felix Mendelssohn --- from “100 Popular Classics” on Decca

Amazingly, someone had actually uploaded a video of this to YouTube! Fair play cha! I thought I was going to have to make one up. Guess classical buffs can be internet-savvy too, huh?

What's to say about the track? Beautiful, sweet, relaxing violin music (the title kind of gives it away, doesn't it?) with a full orchestra. Written in 1845 (and still sounding as good today), it is widely regarded as one of the best and most beautiful violin concertos of all time, and a work for students of the violin to master.

This is only the second movement, and lasts approximately eight minutes. The whole thing usually runs for about thirty. There you are: don't say you never get any culture in your life! You never know what you're going to get when you read my journal!