Music Banter - View Single Post - Compare and contrast: Neil Young and Bob Dylan
View Single Post
Old 08-06-2011, 12:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
blastingas10
Music Addict

Default Compare and contrast: Neil Young and Bob Dylan

My friends and I debated this topic for hours last night. I want to keep it going, I want to hear what more people have to say.

Dylan is my personal preference, but i feel like they are practically equals. I think Dylan is a better lyricist, he is more poetic. Even if you don't like Dylan, you can't deny how influential he was to the world of music. When it comes to their skill as instrumentalists, I think Dylan is easily overlooked by an untrained ear. Neil's guitar playing is more credited than Dylan's mainly because Neil plays such a loud electric guitar, it stands out more, it's more flashy. Dylan is a good guitarist though. Ever since I began playing guitar, I've realized that Dylan has more complex chord progressions and melodies. I've found some Dylan's songs to be harder to play and sing along with. But overall, I think Neil is the better guitarist. I've seen them both in concert and I think that over time Dylan has become a much better instrumentalist, and I haven't really noticed any increase in Neil's talent. I saw Dylan for the 4th time a few weeks ago, and I was amazed by how much better he's gotten. I never knew Dylan could play the organ as good as he was playing that night. If Neil is a better instrumentalist, he's not much better. It's very close.

What do you all think?
blastingas10 is offline   Reply With Quote