Music Banter - View Single Post - Unreleased, Lost or Abandoned Albums
View Single Post
Old 08-07-2011, 03:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
Zer0

Default Unreleased, Lost or Abandoned Albums

I was listening to the band JJ72 earlier, in particular the handful of rather excellent songs that were leaked from their unreleased third album, and I was thinking how many bands have had record companies shelve their albums? Their third album was completed and due for release in 2005 and there were even two promo singles released from it, but a dispute with their record label Sony meant that the album never saw the light of day.

I know there's also quite a few cases of artists abandoning or even scrapping entire albums and starting again from scratch. One recent example I can think of are Deftones who shelved their proposed album titled 'Eros' when their bassist Chi Cheng was seriously injured in a car accident. They then recorded a more positive album in his absence with another bass player and this was released as Diamond Eyes. I also know that Weezer and Neil Young have also abandoned albums which were subsequently leaked in recent years.

Anybody have any good examples or interesting stories about albums that never got released?