Music Banter - View Single Post - London riots
Thread: London riots
View Single Post
Old 08-08-2011, 02:54 PM   #7 (permalink)
Sneer
Let it drip

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilChuck View Post
Tarnishing London's image? Apart from the postcard locations this city has been a shíthole for years, and everyone who has lived or does live there knows it. The fact is nothing seems to be getting done to improve it, if anything its getting worse with cuts everywhere. There are no jobs for these people, the alternative (further education) is out of their financial reach, the youth centres where they would have been able to go to do something productive with their time are being closed down. And with it being the summer there are simply a larger number of bored people around.

I'm not going to deny that alot of these people are rioting just because there are riots, but to say this has no agenda is pretty naive (no offence intended). There is alot of frustration at the current situation of life in urban London, anger towards those in charge that its like this, and I daresay fear for the future because these people see nothing but violence around them, with no end in sight - and I dont even mean the riots, I'm talking about the once weekly stabbings that seem to occur.
That's an exaggerated statement. I live in London, and I don't think it's a shithole. it has its rough areas like everywhere else, but it isn't this dystopia you seem to be describing. In fact it's experienced diminished crime rates across the board in recent years, to the point where it is actually one of the safest major cities in Europe.

Anyway, what I meant by image is the one it has around the world. London is seen as one of the greatest cities in the world, bringing in tourists by the bucket load year after year. With all this taking place, what must people around the world thinking?

And of course you're going to get a bloody stabbing a week, it's a huge city, these things happen everywhere, in every major city around the world. Papers like the Mail print absolute garbage like 'Broken Britain', and it's massively sensationalist.

Everything you've said seems to be excusing these riots. There is no excuse for it. We aren't living in some tyrannical dictatorship. Increased unemployment has been felt worldwide, London is no worse than the like of New York, Paris etc. Vandalising, looting and burning down shops/buses/cars and attacking the police is totally gratuitous.

Anyway, for everyone else, it's become a whole lot worse this evening. Areas all across London are now subject to this bullshit. It's reached the town next to me and there is a HUGE fire. We're seriously considering just getting the fuck out of here.
Sneer is offline   Reply With Quote