Music Banter - View Single Post - Microphone and recording issues
View Single Post
Old 08-08-2011, 04:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
Singstar
Groupie

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebase Dali View Post
You're on the right track with the general situation. A dynamic would serve you better for performance, as its pickup pattern and sensitivity threshold lends itself to that scenario. A condenser is usually strictly a studio fixture, for the same reasons, only in contrast to the characteristics of a dynamic.

A couple of considerations need to be made. First, if you're leaning toward a condenser microphone, you're going to need a phantom power source. If you don't already have a mixer or audio interface with phantom power, then that's another purchase.
Secondly, you're not going to be using a condenser in a live setting. So, for performances, a dynamic is another purchase.

But, there are very good dynamic vocal microphones that can be sufficient for both scenarios. A Shure SM58, for example, is perfect for performance, and does well in the studio. It's a well-rounded microphone, and an industry standard in terms of general vocal performance mics. In the studio, you'll get good results. Not the same crispness and clarity of a condenser, but it's no slouch.

Also, with a 58, you're not going to have to worry so much about shoddy studio acoustics like you would with a condenser, which (yes) picks up a LOT more ambient noise and room characteristic if you're not singing in an isolation booth (or a makeshift one, like a closet full of clothes).

So, ultimately, I think you would be better off with a dynamic for now.

Like EvilChuck said, Audacity is one of the more well-known free multitracking softwares around. It's simple, has the basic features, and will fulfill your needs until you're ready to grow.

As far recording with a video, I need you to be more specific.
Are you asking about the recording itself, or how it relates to a video?
Hi.. thanks guys for answering! Especially to you Freebase... it seems you know your way around microphones and that kind of advice is just what I was looking for! In fact... I was thinking about Shure SM58... heard a lot of positive things about it and read a lot of good reviews. Now that you said that I can use it both for performances and for doing quite good recordings I am 95% percent sure I am going for the dynamic one. The condenser like you said will have additional costs because of the phantom power source... just one question... because I would like to know for future reference... what is that?

And one additional question regarding the Shure SM58... I know that there are two versions, with an on/off switch and without. What is your opinions about that? Is it better to get the one with the switch or without? Is there a bigger possibility of technical malfunctions or similar as time passes by with the one that has the switch?

And second... regarding the recording... I have Audacity and have been using it for quite some time now.. few months ago I got Transcribe! and it`s quite good. I asked because I wanted to see what others are using... thanks

And for the recording question... I asked if someone could walk me through the procedure of doing it... both audio and video recording... but especially audio... I mean obviously you record video with a cam... sound with the mic... and you have your headphones through which you hear the backing music/track (instrumental or whatever..) and my idea was that I record a video without the sound while singing... match it with the recorded sound and than add the backing track... is that a good idea or is there an easier way of doing it? I mean can I record the sound directly with the backing track... or something... like I said, I don`t have experience with recording so I don`t know how people who post on YouTube match the video and audio...

Finally last but not least... you should hear yourself while recording, is that right? So how to do that? To hear yourself and the backing track at the same time?

Thank you again!