Music Banter - View Single Post - The Playlist of Life --- Trollheart's resurrected Journal
View Single Post
Old 08-09-2011, 10:24 AM   #133 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Due to the huge response … okay, the moderate response … well, okay, one or two people commented... Fine, fine! NO-ONE commented. Not one person! Ingrates! So, due to the complete lack of response to my recent “Tunnel of Love” segment, I choose to take your silence as approval, and am therefore doing it again. So there.

Another ten ballads, slow tracks, whatever you want to call them, introduced in the style of a late-night radio programme I used to host when I was younger and had a lot more hair. And money. And time.

So, welcome back to Trollheart's “Tunnel of Love”. And what have we for you this time around? Well, starting off our selection of music to play when the lights are down is Kiki Dee, known to most of us for her association with Elton John on the duet “Don't go breaking my heart”. This, however, is a tune I used to play a lot, probably totally uknown to most of you, originally a French song but rendered into English and covered by Kiki, it's a gentle love song called “Amoreuse”.

It's seldom, if ever, I hear of a song which is written not only in the hope of being a classic (many are of course), but with that hope clearly expressed in the lyric, and finally also titled “Classic”. But that's what Adrian Gurvitz managed in 1982. And let's be honest, it is a classic. Mission accomplished then.

Meat Loaf, through the writing talents of Jim Steinman, can always be counted on for a good ballad, and usually a long one. This one fulfils both criteria, being almost nine minutes long. It's taken from “Bat out of Hell”, and it's the classic “For crying out loud.”

And speaking of classics, how about this one from Ultravox? Remember the cool video? This is of course “Vienna”.

From an album featured on my journal not so long ago, a name most people seem to hate because of one song, and it's sad, as he's one hell of a songwriter. This is from his “Back to Bedlam” album, and it's James Blunt, with a lovely song called “Tears and rain”.

Hazel O'Connor is more well-known for her punk anthems like “Eighth day”, but this is her in more mellow mood, with a gorgeous sax solo at the end, this is “Will you”.

And keeping with people you don't necessarily associate with ballads, you might be surprised to find that Tom Waits has many. This is one from his “Heartattack and Vine” album, a lovely gentle little song called “Ruby's arms”.

From the masters of AOR, and their very successful album “IV” this is Toto, with “I won't hold you back”.

Coming to the end of the show now, just time for two more tracks before I leave you. First up it's a nice relaxing little number from China Crisis, this is “Christian”.

And closing the show for another edition of “Trollheart's Tunnel of Love” is a true classic. Love songs are often best when in duet, and these two stars couldn't be bigger. It's Diana Ross and Lionel Ritchie, with the timeless “Endless love”.

That's all we have for this time. Don't forget to comment if you liked (or disliked) this segment, and if you want anything featured let me know. If you don't tell me to stop I'll just keep doing it, you know! Anyway, hope you enjoyed it and will tune in again next time. Till then, take care.

This is Trollheart, signing off on another edition of “The Tunnel of Love”.