Music Banter - View Single Post - London riots
Thread: London riots
View Single Post
Old 08-09-2011, 03:47 PM   #44 (permalink)
Unknown Soldier
Horribly Creative

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoathsomePete View Post
To be honest I'm really surprised that the riots are not more race orientated. In 2007 I did notice some animosity where I was living towards ethnic minorities and I thought it was just small village racism like one would find in small communities in the American South, however I noticed it was just as profound in the larger cities like Manchester and London. When I went back over in February for a funeral it was far more profound and expressed vocally. Everyone in my family seemed to have some reason to hate on Paki's, Chinense, etc. as well as those living in poverty. They all had some reasoning behind it, it wasn't just blind hate (although there was no shortage of that) but most of it involved public housing, staying on the dole for decades, having to carry generations of people dependent on government support. I can empathize with that, I mean in America it's pretty much sink or swim, Canada it's more or less the same way, but the UK really does its best to look after those who can't look after themselves, maybe a little too much.
The animosity to ethnic minorities that you speak of doesn`t really exist here that much, it exists but its a minority and usually most evident in the poorer sections of white society that you have used as an example. The country in urban areas is fairly multi-racial and has been for a number of decades now and most people get on well enough with each other. Back in the 70s and 80s most visible ethnics lived in inner urban areas, but as their economic power grew, a large number moved to some of the more affluent suburbs of the main cities. Its only in the smaller urban and rural areas here where visible ethnics are not really seen. Most coloured people here are pretty well integrated into society if they choose to be, if not then its a different case and a lot of those are involved in these riots.

Your opinion about the race aspect in the UK does surprise me, I`d always been led to believe that Britain was far more tolerant towards ethnic minorities than the USA in every aspect!

Also the UK has the most unique national health system in the world, problem is that its sadly abused.
Unknown Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote