Music Banter - View Single Post - Do the 80's Deserve their Bad Rep?
View Single Post
Old 08-09-2011, 10:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
jastrub
Groupie

Default Do the 80's Deserve their Bad Rep?

Most music lovers seem to scornfully look upon the 80's as a stain on the history of popular music. I have heard the terms "cultural wasteland" and "lost decade" used many times by many people in reference to the 1980's, and it irritates me. Sure, there were some very embarrassing aspects of the decade, but I think there is a lot more that the era offered that cannot be overlooked.

The 80's in my opinion were actually an extremely influential time. The further development of politically-charged pop and punk music, the incorporation of synthesizers, the spawning of solo careers by many ex-band artists and the birth of what we would consider the modern metal scene all came out of the 80's, not to mention the songwriter movements of the time and the developments in early jazz fusion. I think the decade is too often shunned arbitrarily.
If we pursue a different aim.
Let the truth of love be lighted,
Let the love of truth shine clear.
Sensibility, armed with sense and liberty,
With the Heart and Mind united
In a single, perfect Sphere

[Links removed by moderator]

And in the end,
The love you take
Is equal to the love you make

The New Liberterian Left: Liberty, Equality, Freedom, Joy, Security, Non-Aggression, Compassion, Direct Action, Rationalism, Reverence, Respect, Socratic Questioning, Harmony, Acceptance, Institutional Change, Social individualism and economic collectivism
jastrub is offline   Reply With Quote