Music Banter - View Single Post - Paul McCartney - The REAL King of Pop?
View Single Post
Old 08-10-2011, 12:52 AM   #148 (permalink)
starrynight
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neapolitan View Post
^ Lyrics do matter and Paul McCartney was a better lyricist than Michael Jackson.

If there was no one to help either with creating a song, Paul's song would definitely be better than Jacko's. Michael could not create a song by himself anywhere near what they sound with Quincy Jones as a producer and a studio band. What instrument have you ever seen Jacko play on stage, even now and then Madge straps on a guitar on stage, so in that respect she has a leg up on Michael JAckson. Paul McCartney at least plays his own instruments, (bass, guitar, piano, drums) and because he was a musician writing & playing his own songs the creation process was his own more so than Jacko who relied on others. The point Michael Jackson isn't the musical genius people want to make him out to be.
What I mean is that people can inflate the importance of lyrics, it's not the same as poetry (which I also like). The music is the main thing, as long as the lyrics don't interfere with the music by being really silly and bubblegum. Certainly for some to say Michael Jackson writes amazing lyrics is a gross exaggeration. Wanna be Startin Somethin for instance is pretty much nonsense lyrics.