Music Banter - View Single Post - It's Art Rock Week! Art, or arty: that is the question
View Single Post
Old 08-10-2011, 03:14 AM   #16 (permalink)
Guybrush
Juicious Maximus III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Pat View Post
I've been meaning to get into National Health. That video was a good motivator (even with drunk bassist).
As you probably know (but maybe someone else don't), it's a Canterbury supergroup with Pip Pyle, Dave Stewart and Phil Miller from Hatfield and the North along with Alan Gowen from Gilgamesh and, in this song which is from their second album, John Greaves from Henry Cow on bass. Peter Blegvad from Henry Cow also makes an appearance on their second album.

The Hatfield and the North and Gilgamesh ancestry is appearant, but the music is a little more demanding on the listener. It is highly composed and very complex, but also very rewarding to get into. Their uncompromising style is interesting also because the band came quite late at a time when people in the UK generally hated anything with a whiff of prog and so they would definetly have popular opinion against them. Still, they're all bringing their A game in this band. Dave Stewart's compositions are brilliant and Pip Pyle's drumming on their second album, Of Queues and Cures (which is the world's fourth greatest album ever according to the Gnosis website), may be the best he ever did on record.

It fizzled out a bit after Alan Gowen sadly died from leukemia in 1981, but what they did is brilliant with my favourite song being Tenemos Roads from the debut and my favourite album being their second one.

Tenemos Roads is a bit long (over 20 minutes), but here's another favourite, the Bryden 2-Step (for amphibians) from "Of Queues and Cures"