Music Banter - View Single Post - Metal & Rock Music Recommendations
View Single Post
Old 08-10-2011, 01:40 PM   #838 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hip hop bunny hop View Post
Linkin Park are worthless. They never did any sort of blending of genres; all they did was applique the most obvious aspects of other genres unto a generic nu-metal template. The musicianship was pedestrian at best, the vision reactionary, and the lyrics puerile. Worthless band.

The general appeal of nu-metal, in my estimation, has to with how it conveyed crescendos in a simplistic & heavy manner. To this end, I'd recommend "Static-X" as the nu-metal band to check out. The songs are simplistic, as is the vision; but they accomplish it with gusto and sincerity. The self titled is their most widely regarded, and with reason - "Push It" is a nu-metal single that deserved the airplay it recieved. That these guys were cognizant of the broader underground music scene is acknowledged; the bassist is an avowed fan of Morbid Angel, and the lead man a fan of Ministry and industrial in general.

I wouldn't say they are the thinking man's nu-metal; but they are nu-metal the thinking man can enjoy.
I agree with all of this. About Linkin Park (Anyone ever noticed that "One Step Closer" doesn't really get played anymore, even though all their other old **** still does? It's because "One Step Closer" is one of the most hilariously bad songs ever written. I heard it the other day and I was almost in tears laughing at it. The only thing worse is "Dropping Plates" by Disturbed.), about Static-X (sort of like death metal toned down and simplified almost to the point of brainlessness, but still pretty sweet) , and about nu-metal in general.

Oh and if anyone cares to actually hear Dropping Plates, it's worth your time as comedy.

There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote