Music Banter - View Single Post - Microphone and recording issues
View Single Post
Old 08-10-2011, 07:12 PM   #7 (permalink)
Freebase Dali
Partying on the inside

I'm glad I could help.

Anyway, about the audio interface... if you're going to be even mildly serious about recording, you're not going to be doing it on a laptop's soundcard. Those soundcards don't have the proper converters on them (which will diminish sound quality), they don't have the necessary inputs, nor the features.

An audio interface is simply an external piece of gear that is specifically designed for recording purposes. They can be USB or Firewire. Depending on the type you get, they can be multi-channel, meaning, you can record multiple things simultaneously while keeping them separate in your recording program.
They record in 24bit, and usually have a range of sample-rates you can record in. They can also include the necessary inputs you will need to connect your microphone.

Here's is a recommendation for a very affordable interface:
Alesis iO2 Express Audio Interface: Shop Pro Audio & Other Musical Instruments | Musician's Friend

It's by no means the best on the market, but for your purposes, it will do just fine. Best on the market is going to put you in the hole for upwards of 2 grand. This one is just 99 dollars. IT IS WORTH IT.

It simply connects to your computer via USB. It will also give you clear and easy monitoring options like we were talking about earlier, as any audio interface does. This one also comes with Cubase LE, which is by far a better software than Audacity, but you'll still be able to use Audacity with the interface.

Also, it features phantom power, should you ever buy a condenser.

Look through the features, specs, and reviews.
I just recommended this interface in general, meaning, definitely look around and see if other interfaces would suit you more. But the interface I recommended is the bare minimum of what you should be looking for, but is a baseline standard of what you need.

As far as total purchases, you should need:
- 1 SM58
- 1 XLR mic cable (whatever length you need)
- 1 audio interface

That's it.
Most interfaces offer everything this one does, and more, and with better quality components, but Alesis isn't a slouch with its products. Again, use this recommendation as a baseline of what you should be getting, and shop around.
If you decide to get it, great.
If you have any other questions regarding interfaces, feel free to ask.
Freebase Dali is offline   Reply With Quote