Music Banter - View Single Post - Unpopular Music Opinions
View Single Post
Old 08-12-2011, 12:30 PM   #6799 (permalink)
Ska Lagos Jew Sun Ra
\/ GOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neapolitan View Post
Nah, Disco had a different demographic; there was already a divide between underground Rock and mainstream Top 40 Pop. If anything Disco claimed those who listen to cheesy Top 40 at the time. Prog wasn't meant to be Top 40, and it appealed to AOR crowd, some people call them Classic Rock elistist - whatever. :/

Think about it - Why would the Popularity of Prog die when there was always niche for it? Prog's popularity segued into Pomp Rock as far as listeners and the new bands that followed the old guard at that time. I wouldn't say "died" I would say "Prog didn't died it's got ignored and slipped into obscurity" imo Marillion and Saga (maybe I will get accused of using popular Prog names for mentioning them but I couldn't think of any other) anyway they were not treated as royalty like Pink Floyd and was it's not because of their popularity for that type of music died. (When I said that about PF I'm talking about how radio airplay and they presented in rock-docs) If I had to point to a cause I would say it was corporate "been there done that" what's new mentality. Generally speaking once a genre piques the public curiosity it peaks corporately and then music business is looking for the next big thing, and for genre all that's left are hardcore fans and cult followings keeping that alive.
Disco's changes weren't just on it's audience, moreso, they were changes which effected the format of music, how it was recorded, distributed, and presented. Proof a larger audience can be procured with less expensive techniques

IE. people don't go to disco concerts they go to disco clubs.

Prog requires excessive production costs, procures a much smaller audience, and is much more difficult to advertise, and distribute. Disco presented the industry with a lot of what the release model is for 'pop' music today. Already being easily accessible, it could be made massively popular by market flooding where more complex music is difficult to fit.

After all, prog very evidently exists in the 80s and 90s and 00s, it's just not as high budget, or emphasized, and that's only in general.
Ska Lagos Jew Sun Ra is offline   Reply With Quote