Music Banter - View Single Post - Paul McCartney - The REAL King of Pop?
View Single Post
Old 08-12-2011, 06:35 PM   #150 (permalink)
majorguitarenvy
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrynight View Post
What I mean is that people can inflate the importance of lyrics, it's not the same as poetry (which I also like). The music is the main thing, as long as the lyrics don't interfere with the music by being really silly and bubblegum. Certainly for some to say Michael Jackson writes amazing lyrics is a gross exaggeration. Wanna be Startin Somethin for instance is pretty much nonsense lyrics.
Actually, I think the lyrics are what people remember most. Have you ever heard anybody sing the actual music? No, they sing and remember the lyrics to certain songs.
(And you're right, poetry is good, Walt Whitman is a favorite)

Wanna Be Startin' Somethin may not be a great song lyrically in your opinion, but songs like Black or White, Smooth Criminal, Man in the Mirror, Dirty Diana, and Billie Jean all have amazing lyrics.
Paul McCartney is responsible for the absolute corn and cheez-whiz that is Ebony and Ivory, most of the rest of Paul's solo work is very similar in its cheez-whiziness. Personally I think John was the better songwriter out of the two of them anyway.
I believe in everything until it's disproved. So I believe in fairies, the myths, dragons. It all exists, even if it's in your mind. Who's to say dreams and nightmares aren't as real as the here and now? -John Lennon
majorguitarenvy is offline   Reply With Quote