Music Banter - View Single Post - Screaming at the Moon
View Single Post
Old 08-13-2011, 09:16 AM   #105 (permalink)
TheBig3
killedmyraindog

Default Radio Nowhere

When I first heard Springsteen's Radio Nowhere, I couldn't appreciate the song for what it was. I had been in love with a woman from New Jersey, and I could only think of her when it came on. She's getting married this year, and I've told myself I need to move on. The song happened to pop up on my iPod this morning, and while I still think of her, for the first time I heard the song as well.

I don't know if there has been a tighter, stronger song that doubled as a love letter to all that was good and holy in America. Who should be shocked that Bruce was the one deliver it. For the purposes of this writing, I think its appropriate to use the lyrics:

Quote:
I was trying to find my way home
But all I heard was a drone
Bouncing off a satellite
Crushing the last lone American night
Since America existed, there has been a sense that anyone could be lost, or get lost here (intentionally or otherwise). As we've moved beyond the travails of a frontier nation, getting lost here often meant being without a place, and that generally has to do with love. Its very obvious that a romantic interest could be plugged in here. But there is also the love-lorn aspect of an America increasingly dying do to technologies sprawling reach.

Not only can we, as a people, no longer get off the grid, get lost, and get gone, but a connection seems to be constant at this point. Its hard to split the concept in twain, but this isn't just an inability to recreate yourself, its an inability to never get away from ourselves. You can imagine this character singing thinking to himself "Stop ****ing calling me, e-mailing me, and wtf is twitter?"

Quote:
I was sitting around a dead dial
Just another lost number in a file
Dancing down a dark hole (some say it’s “Been in some kind of dark cove”)
Just a-searching for a world with some soul
No one wants to hear another Luddite stand-up routine. It was never, never clever to make fun of social-media because people were updating how bored they were (that's on you, friends. If your friends do that, you're probably boring yourself.)

The song also does hammer harshly on the dehumanization of people. And here, The Boss might also be talking about some of his own past. Could the dark hole be "Tunnel of Love" a monumentally horrible album, an album the signals a period where Bruce was living in California, dating super models and living the life of just another rock star? Could this be a condemnation of the rote through self-criticism?
Quote:
I want a thousand guitars
I want pounding drums
I want a million different voices
Speaking in tongues
Or maybe its a comment on the prevailing insincerity in modern music. This song, on an album that was a return to the E Street Band, could he be suggesting that there is too much affect and posture in todays music? Its possible, since the solo in this song comes from a Saxophone, which harkens back to the 1950's rock scene, when a hot sax solo was obligatory.

Quote:
I was driving through the misty rain
Just a-searching for a mystery train
Bopping through the wild blue
Trying to make a connection with you
Whatever it means, like all good music/art, it should effect you differently than me. But as someone still fascinated by what this continent can do to a person, its a stark reminder that we're not alone in our constant wanderlust, and that we should remember that connections can be made beyond the keyboards and +1's of the world wide web.

Don't be afraid to get lost, friends.