Music Banter - View Single Post - The Playlist of Life --- Trollheart's resurrected Journal
View Single Post
Old 08-13-2011, 05:58 PM   #145 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Random Track of the Day
Saturday, August 13 2011

Looks like the gods of progressive rock are looking down on me and smiling this week! After yesterday's treat from Riverside, today the die has rolled over onto a Genesis track. Now admittedly this has been reviewed before by me, in fact it was my very first review, but hey, that's no reason to leave it out!

From the double-live album “Seconds out”, and originally on the 1976 album “A trick of the tail”, this is “Squonk”, with a great little lyric about a mythic creature who is so scared of everything that when cornered he cries and dissolves into tears. Ah, poor thing!

The drawing for the Squonk featured as one of the many depictions of the tracks therein on the album “Trick of the tail”, making it one of the coolest Genesis album covers ever, and this song has been covered by among others Spock's Beard, who make an okay go of it, but do shorten it annoyingly.

Squonk --- Genesis --- from “Seconds out” on Charisma

I couldn't find a video from the actual tour, but this looks to be close, being the same year. For some reason it's totally devoid of any video, but then, it's the music you want to hear, right? This is from Genesis' heyday, when they had just released two albums the same year, and were riding high, even despite the departure of frontman and guiding light Peter Gabriel. Everyone expected them to crumble, but they just came back stronger than ever with Phil Collins taking over on vocals.

If you want to hear more from this album, head to the very first entry in my journal.