Music Banter - View Single Post - Frank Zappa or Captain Beefheart?
View Single Post
Old 08-14-2011, 10:36 AM   #49 (permalink)
Guybrush
Juicious Maximus III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisnaholic View Post
^ While a lot of this is true, imo Zappa`s personality isn`t always hilarious or charming. For me a lot of his albums are spoiled by attempts at humour that are only funny first time around. Elsewhere, Zappa`s comments, musical whimsey, even his tone of voice often come across as superior and patronising. We get it, Frank, you`re an inventive musician and you`ve heard of Stravinski, but why do we have suffer for that ?
I don't feel the same way as I never felt the target of his ridicule or boasts. Rather, it was always something I enjoyed from him. I can certainly imagine why someone might be bothered by it though. It's obvious that the guy had high thoughts about himself!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Il Duce View Post
Hot Rats is ace, though, and Wiilie the Pimp rawks
Hot Rats is indeed brilliant and Willie the Pimp should appeal to both camps in this thread as it's got Beefheart on vocals.

I feel like Beefheart may be the more interesting avant-gardist of the two, but that Zappa is the more interesting person, rock musician, jazz musician, comedian, producer and more. Overall, I have more love for Zappa.