Music Banter - View Single Post - The Playlist of Life --- Trollheart's resurrected Journal
View Single Post
Old 08-14-2011, 12:01 PM   #147 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Random Track of the Day
Sunday, August 14 2011

Seems like we end the week on a pretty regular track: not too many classical symphonies or weird instrumentals this week! My favourite track, as it happens, from the debut solo album by Phil Collins, way back there in 1981, “Face value”. First time I listened to this album I absolutely hated it, and it was a long time before I tried it again. I guess I had naively been expecting a new Genesis album, but then, why bother going solo if all you're going to do is the same music you play in your band?

I was too young to realise this at the time though, and growled at the album for having wasted my money on it, and put it away. When I went for a second bite at it, I was amazed at what I had missed. I'm not going to say it's the best debut solo album ever, and it certainly has its flaws, but this is not one of them.

If leaving me is easy --- Phil Collins --- from “Face value” on Virgin

The best ballad --- indeed, the best track --- from “Face value”, it's a powerful, keyboard and sax-driven ballad, with Collins at his most acerbic. Great lyric, a thumping echo on the keyboard which scares the bejaysus out of you the first time you hear it, and a wonderful sax solo to take it to fade, courtesy of Don Myrick. Classic love song, something you may see featured on a future “Tunnel of love” slot.

So that's it for another week. Hope the weather's okay where you are (raining and high winds here) and if you have to go to work, don't work too hard and remember to bring your music with you.

See you all next week for more of the same. Well, not the same. Completely different probably. You know what I mean, to quote the man above....