Music Banter - View Single Post - The Playlist of Life --- Trollheart's resurrected Journal
View Single Post
Old 08-15-2011, 11:12 AM   #151 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Random Track of the Day
Monday, August 15 2011

Ah, a new week, and seven new tracks whose identity I don't even know at this point to get through! Yes, it's time once again for “Random Track of the Day”, and today has interestingly brought up a band I recently featured in the journal, though it's not from that album. This is the symphonic rock/metal band Fairyland, who come from France. I reviewed their “Of wars in Osyrhia” previously, but this is from the “new” version of Fairyland, formed by founder member Philippe Giordana, after he had disbanded the original group. It's just basically him from the old band, with a lot of session and guest musicians helping him out. The album was released in 2009, and is called “Score to a new beginning”.

Master of the waves --- Fairyland --- from “Score to a new beginning" on Napalm

There's certainly a feeling of a film score about the opening minute or so of the track: epic, powerful, dramatic with that choir again (well, maybe not the original one: see my review of “Of wars in Osyrhia”), then the song gets going with multi-guitars (seems Giordana mostly booked the services of guitarists for this album) and of course later on we hear Philippe himself bashing out one of those magical keyboard solos.

Bombastic, that's the only way to describe it. Having only heard one Fairyland album to date, I must say the sound on this is incredible and I can't wait to hear the whole album. This guy could have a career scoring fantasy movies if Fairyland doesn't work out for him. Epic, sweeping, majestic and stunning.