Music Banter - View Single Post - Figure Skating
Thread: Figure Skating
View Single Post
Old 08-15-2011, 12:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CateMonster View Post
Does anyone like figure skating here? Either watching or doing?

I can't really skate myself, But I love to watch it! There's been quite the tunover recently, so I don't have many current favourites. Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir are awesome, though.
I like figure skating, CateMonster, both watching and doing...although the high point of my ice skating career was doing waltz jumps when I was 10 and I never really progressed beyond that.

I still like going ice skating, though, and in fact went just last weekend. I love the chill in the air and the sound of the ice under skate. I'm old enough now that fear of falling and breaking every bone in my body keeps me from trying any leaps...but the urge is there.

I enjoy the combination of artistry, athleticism, and music in ice skating, which is my favorite sport in the Winter Olympics. I haven't watched much skating in a while, so I had to look up Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir to find out that they are a handsome and graceful Canadian ice dancing couple who won the 2010 Olympics.

I usually prefer pairs skating and individual competition to ice dancing because the former allow leaps and throws, but Tessa and Moir's 2010 Olympics ice dancing performance (below) was so compelling and exquisite, just like the announcer said, that it may turn me into a greater fan of ice dancing.

Their choreography worked very well with Gustav Mahler's Symphony No. 5, which is much more memorable to me now that I have heard it paired with their skating. In case you want to talk about the music used in ice skating, I made a super-popular thread just for this topic! http://www.musicbanter.com/classical...ml#post1043237. Feel free to go wild there and post all your favorite ice skating performances that bring music to life.

Tessa Virtue & Scott Moir FD 2010 Vancouver Olympics (Symphony No.5 by Gustav Mahler)

One of my other favorite ice skating performances is this one:

North Korea's Iron Lotus (Scene from "Blades of Glory")

(That makes me laugh hysterically every time I watch it!)

I put that in there for dj, who likes to watch ice skating disasters.
If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote