Music Banter - View Single Post - Bay Area Rapid Transit (BART) Cuts Off Cell Phone Signals to Prevent Protest.
View Single Post
Old 08-15-2011, 07:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
Mrd00d
Stoned and Jammin' Out

@Conan I agree and disagree with what the Anonymous group did here. Go after BART? Yes. Release citizen's info? Meh.

Quote:
What is Anonymous' end-game with the recent BART leaks? Why not hack into the system to allow free rides for all? (Sorry, BART.) It's time to throw the gauntlet down and challenge Anonymous to keep it real. If you're fighting for the people, don't throw them under the bus to make a point.
As a former regular BART commuter, I highly condemn BART's actions, and only slightly shake my head at Anon's reaction. What's the risk of being one of thousands of addresses and phone numbers leaked? 'Oh noes! Not my phone number!' 'Oh noes! Now people will come hunting me down to my house because the world knows my name and address!' I dunno...

Quote:
"I'm just shocked that they didn't think about the implications of this. We really don't have the right to be this type of censor," said Lynette Sweet, who serves on BART's board of directors. "In my opinion, we've let the actions of a few people affect everybody. And that's not fair."
I am extremely unnerved at the recent suggestion of Britain's David Cameron suggesting that social media and, what, possibly all communication, be disabled in times of unrest. I am bothered by my local commuter train service taking this level of action. Yes they own the cell transmitters, and what not, and yes, they did just fine the whole time that cell phones weren't even a mainstay with the same system, but once you open a venue of public communication, you can't just turn it off and on, or censor people, at your will. I believe they broke some rules in doing what they did.

Quote:
"What it really did is it prevented people from talking, discussing … and mobilizing in any form, peaceful or unpeaceful, lawful or unlawful," he said. "That is, constitutionally, very problematic."
Quote:
"The idea that we're going to keep people from talking about what they might or might not do, based on the idea that they might all agree to violate the law, is positively Orwellian," he said.

Mrd00d is offline   Reply With Quote