Music Banter - View Single Post - Figure Skating
Thread: Figure Skating
View Single Post
Old 08-15-2011, 07:44 PM   #8 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by djchameleon View Post
Wow those are some scary falls.

There is something bittersweet about seeing the falls knowing that all those hours if practice went into the routine and so much pressure is on the couple to be perfect so they can get a high score from judges but life is not perfect and no matter how much you practice accidents still occur.

It's a great analogy for life no matter how hard you work at it there are bound to be failures. Life is about how you pick yourself up from the failures not the failures themselves
Very true, dj...assuming one survives the failures!

Your comment about picking oneself up after a fall reminds me of a movie I liked as a child, "Ice Castles" (1978), about a skater who struggles to pursue her skating dream even after she becomes nearly blind.

I should watch "Ice Castles" again because I'm sure I'd gain more from it now. For example, this preview below shows the great impact that those around us can have on our self-confidence, and I don't remember thinking about that issue when I watched the movie...although I do remember the basic love story!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CateMonster View Post
Ahahha I love the Iron lotus. Makes me laugh every time. Blade of Glory is just awesome in general. "That dove was in his suit the whole time!"

Jeffrey Buttle is one of my favourite skaters of all time. Everything he does is wonderful. I was so sad when he retired. He's still doing shows, which is good. I can't post links right now, apparently but youtube him!!!!
"That dove was in his suit the whole time!" Ha ha! I remember that now.

I youtubed Jeffrey Buttle and decided to post the following video of him because he is skating to Prelude in C Sharp Minor by Rachmaninoff, which I was curious to hear (with a bonus of Japanese ? commentary). He's a very lithe, precise young man, which makes his skating look effortless and elegant:

Jeffrey Buttle, age 22 - skating to Prelude in C Sharp Minor by Rachmaninoff

If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"

Last edited by VEGANGELICA; 08-15-2011 at 07:50 PM.
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote