Music Banter - View Single Post - The Dark Side of the Moon - Interpretation
View Single Post
Old 08-16-2011, 05:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
Guybrush
Juicious Maximus III

These are some interesting interpretations, but it strikes me as a little odd that you would choose to interpret this album as the songs meanings have already been both analysed and explained. It's no mystery what these songs are about, you can just check it's Wikipedia page or watch a documentary on the making of.

You may still do it for fun or as a mental/emotional excercise I guess.

You've got a lot of it right, although not all of them. The Great Gig in the Sky f.ex is not about pleasure, but about dying. There's not much mystery, really. There are some spoken samples were people talk about death and if you reflect on the song title a bit, it shouldn't take long before you imagine what that great gig in the sky might refer to. Although it may sound orgasmic, Clare Torri's singing is supposed to be a wail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Waters
It was something that Rick had already written. It's a great chord sequence. "The Great Gig in the Sky" and the piano part on "Us and Them," in my view, are the best things that Rick did -- they're both really beautiful. And Alan [Parsons] suggested Clare Torry. I've no idea whose idea it was to have someone wailing on it. Clare came into the studio one day, and we said, "There's no lyrics. It's about dying -- have a bit of a sing on that, girl." I think she only did one take. And we all said, "Wow, that's that done. Here's your sixty quid.
Your interpretations of Us and Them and Any Colour You Like are also, I believe, a bit off. Other than that, good job!