Music Banter - View Single Post - The Dark Side of the Moon - Interpretation
View Single Post
Old 08-16-2011, 07:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
TheLunatic
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Rock View Post
There is no dark side of the moon really...matter fact it's all dark.

Well done on your interpretation on this great album. You've certainly motivated me to go listen to this one again. I think I'll see things a bit differently now that I've read this.

On a side note, have you ever seen the Pulse DVD, which has them doing the entire album as part of their set? (I'm assuming you're not old enough to have been at that concert, correct me if I'm wrong) Probably the best concert DVD I've ever seen. It's amazing that a band who created so many obscure sounds in the studio managed to recreate that to perfection in a live setting.
Actually I'm only 17 years old. I'll check out that DVD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tore View Post
These are some interesting interpretations, but it strikes me as a little odd that you would choose to interpret this album as the songs meanings have already been both analysed and explained. It's no mystery what these songs are about, you can just check it's Wikipedia page or watch a documentary on the making of.

You may still do it for fun or as a mental/emotional excercise I guess.

You've got a lot of it right, although not all of them. The Great Gig in the Sky f.ex is not about pleasure, but about dying. There's not much mystery, really. There are some spoken samples were people talk about death and if you reflect on the song title a bit, it shouldn't take long before you imagine what that great gig in the sky might refer to. Although it may sound orgasmic, Clare Torri's singing is supposed to be a wail.

Your interpretations of Us and Them and Any Colour You Like are also, I believe, a bit off. Other than that, good job!
I've read many various interpretations of the album and I'm fully aware of the analysis that you're speaking of. I'm also just plain convinced that there is no singular objective truth of this album and no one way to interpret it. If Pink Floyd wanted to make it as obvious as that, they would have written Dark Side as a narrative essay, not unlike The Wall. (Not to undermine the complexity of The Wall, it just tries to deliver certain themes while, in my opinion, Dark Side has no specific message.) Maybe I'm wrong, but saying that Dark Side has only one interpretation is a pretty bold statement. I've heard many different interpretations which rise above the standard "analysis" of the lyrics or anything like that. The music itself, the feel of the album and the flow of the themes makes it pretty damn abstract. My interpretation was just an idea I had while listening to it, and I feel like it's as legitimate as any other analysis.
TheLunatic is offline   Reply With Quote