Music Banter - View Single Post - not learning anything about music or learning to play songs but playing an instrument
View Single Post
Old 08-16-2011, 09:15 PM   #14 (permalink)
Freebase Dali
Partying on the inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odyshape View Post
Any one see much wrong with this? I have been playing guitar for about half a year now and have pretty well only relied on learning things by myself and only play stuff I have made up. I am a little concerned though that once I run out of things to make up I could regress in my learning. I think I have made some decent progress from when I first started (I practice a few hours a day) and really enjoy learning this way and developing my own sound independent from other sources of influence but I was just wondering if any one else has had any experience like this. IF so how did it effect your long term motivation to keep with guitar?
I don't see anything wrong with it. It's what I did, too.
I guess, because of this, I never really understood why the majority of "guitar players" I've known play strictly other people's music. And all the cliche' songs, too.
When someone busts out a guitar and starts playing Enter Sandman, you can just walk away and not feel like you're going to miss out on anything special.

I guess there's some merit to learning guitar by using other people's tabs and all, but personally, I enjoyed picking up the guitar with no instruction and just doing everything by ear and by heart. Give it long enough, you develop your own style, songs and even if your technique isn't standard protocol, you still have something good and something you can call your own.
Freebase Dali is offline   Reply With Quote