Music Banter - View Single Post - not learning anything about music or learning to play songs but playing an instrument
View Single Post
Old 08-17-2011, 04:37 AM   #20 (permalink)
GuitarBizarre
D-D-D-D-D-DROP THE BASS!

Theory is a tool. So is improvisation, and so is chance composition, and all sorts of other things that fall in and out of the bounds of 'theory' and 'feeling'.

If you can't do both, you're going to suck at one or other style of music, because different styles depend on knowledge of both to different degrees. If you don't know theory, you'll probably be great at rock and suck at jazz, because you won't be able to keep up with the changes.

On the same token, if your theory is great but you suck at feeling a groove, you'll never be able to play funk all that great because you'll sound robotic. Unless you want to make something funky but robotic, in which case you'll probably sound like daft punk or something.

Music is bigger than just "The right way and the wrong way", music is all about "This is the way I am going to do it"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
I'll have you know, my ancestors were Kings of Wicklow! We're as Irish as losing a three-nil lead in a must-win fixture!
GuitarBizarre is offline   Reply With Quote