Music Banter - View Single Post - Tattoo Fails
Thread: Tattoo Fails
View Single Post
Old 08-20-2011, 09:28 PM   #18 (permalink)
SIRIUSB
Luciferian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noise View Post
I agree, your post was quite amusing. Mostly because it was incredibly pretentious. Also the grammar is pretty awful.

But more importantly, modern tattoos have absolutely nothing to do with (proper) shamanism. Yes they're personal, and when subject to the gaze of the "other" they can certainly affect changes in the social mileau. Some might even have metaphorical significance.

But in the vast majority of cases, they're certainly not "rites of passage", nor are they in any way "archetypal". And WTF is "sigilistic"?

Shamans are social actors - mediators between this world and the spirit world. Not everyone who gets a tattoo is a shaman, and not all shamans have tattoos.

Lastly, all this crap about "Magick" with a capital M and the added "k" to give it an iota of dignity - well, that just tosses all of your credibility out the window. The end, game over.

On topic:
I wasn't aware this was a game, but if indeed it is, you don't make the rules.

A sigil is usually made up of a complex combination of several specific symbols or geometric figures, each with a specific meaning or intent.

The 'K' in magick is used to differentiate between stage magic and as Crowley put it; "the Science and Art of causing Change to occur in conformity with Will".

Going through the process of choosing a tattoo, having it inked onto your body, and living with it, certainly is a form of "Rite of Passage" which is a ritual event that marks a person's progress from one status to another.

Shamans (whatever 'proper' has to do with it eludes me) are not "social actors" and are more than just "mediators between this world and the spirit world."

Is there anything else I can help you with? Grammar maybe?

Last edited by SIRIUSB; 08-20-2011 at 09:37 PM.
SIRIUSB is offline   Reply With Quote