Music Banter - View Single Post - Should People Posting Nothing But Youtube Videos Be Treated As Spammers ?
View Single Post
Old 08-21-2011, 04:16 AM   #24 (permalink)
Urban Hat€monger ?
The Sexual Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGANGELICA View Post
My point is that when I read Jackhammer's OP for the "What Are You Listening To Right Now II" thread in the music forum, I interpret it as saying that people need to post a video, but adding a few lines about the video is preferred yet not REQUIRED, because he uses the word "maybe" and follows that up with a "?" to show this is a suggestion, not a requirement:

You shouldn't fault people for following directions. If you want people to do something, you have to be clear in the original post.
Firstly that thread was started before this became an issue so unless you expect someone to look into the future I don't see how he can word it to take something into account several years later.
Secondly no matter how he worded it he still intended there to be some discussion in that thread and that is the reason it's in the forum it's in.
You can disagree with it if you like but it's staying where it is.
And I've not been deleting any posts in there with no content other than youtube videos in them because they're not currently breaking any rules as things are now.
The point of this thread is to see if people want one.

If they do those threads will be modified accordingly just like it was when the first one was closed, that's why it's called the "What Are You Listening To Right Now II" thread.

Quote:
I don't see anything wrong with discussing standards, either. I just don't see posting youtube videos as "rubbish."
A growing number of people do.
Hence us having this discussion now

Quote:
And yes, it does bother me when moderators fault people for doing something (posting youtube videos without commentary) when those people are just following directions. Calling their posts "rubbish" is pretty harsh.

I prefer people to share their views about music videos by writing about them, because I like to hear their thoughts. I just don't feel there needs to be an across-the-board rule that they *have* to. I'd rather that we lead by example, rather than force people to spew up words (or a :/ ) after posting a video.
Well that's you and you've expressed how you feel and that will be taken into account like everybody else's opinion.

Quote:
If you want to make it one of the official rules that people may never post a video by itself, then I am not opposed to that, as long as the rule is stated in the official site rules. However, I think it will be incredibly difficult to police, because people will just start complying by saying, "I like this video." That would count as commentary, wouldn't it?
I believe in the original post I said posts with no content, not no words.
They would be treated the same way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaltezon View Post
So if someone posts inappropriately, don't mods already have the option of making a red-letter comment?
If someone posts inappropriately the post gets deleted.
The point of this thread is to see if members think that these kind of posts are inappropriate for the forum.

Urb's RYM Stuff

Most people sell their soul to the devil, but the devil sells his soul to Nick Cave.