Music Banter - View Single Post - Gay metal musicians?
View Single Post
Old 08-24-2011, 01:50 PM   #19 (permalink)
GeddyBass2112
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hip hop bunny hop View Post
They're correct; most of the people who play it are homophobic (heteronormative?), and most of the people who listen to it are as well. We could argue about whether it's as strongly homophobic as, say, country western or rap - but homophobic it is.

But I suppose you're coming at this from a "homophobia is bad" angle, eh?
I'm actually asking this thread for personal reasons. I'm a metal fan and musician, and also I have strong homosexual feelings. People can't seem to see how someone who is like me can also be involved with a music genre which has a reputation for being homophobic.

I'm trying to demonstrate that some people who are at the top of their respective metal sub-genres are also openly gay, and have been accepted for who they are by the metal scene generally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackhammer View Post
Ermm.... who gives a shit? It makes no difference to what music they make does it?
You're right, it doesn't. And I'm not saying that it does. But the fact is that behind the music is a real person and generally, people don't just listen to the songs, they look towards the person also. And given metal's reputation for homophobia, it makes my case if I can prove that the metal community has accepted an openly gay musician, to the point where they can reach the top of their respective sub-genre, it helps my case that metal is actually quite accepting, possibly more so than what people are making out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necromancer View Post
I don't think that Rob Halford is homophobic!

(But his music is)

Judas Priest helped spur the genre's evolution.
Judas Priest are awesome. I kinda stopped listening to them until this thread reminded me.