Music Banter - View Single Post - Gay metal musicians?
View Single Post
Old 08-24-2011, 07:34 PM   #25 (permalink)
hip hop bunny hop
Music Addict

Quote:
Also, the concept of metal being homophobic, even racist and sexist is largely an old concept anyway and fairly outdated. Metal since the 1990s has grown immensely in terms of genres, there is something like 20-30 genres out there depending on how the styles are classified, point here being that it continues to grow creatively and incorporating greater musical diversity all the time, thus in turn attracting a more varied crowd of people. Rob Halford is the perfect example of being both gay and a metal god, I doubt metal lovers ever really debate about the fact that he`s gay.
I really, really have a hard time believing metal has gotten less conservative in the last 20 years or so. Since the 1990s, sure, there are more genres (although 20-30 is waaaay high)..... but since this time period metal has been actively used by extreme right wing groups as a method of spreading propaganda & generating revenue, and they've succeeded quite well.

Consider, how many openly racist metal bands were there before 1990? How many are there now? As an ideology it's so widespread even the mainstream metal press - and I mean magazines you can buy at the grocery store - cover these bands and review their albums.

Yeah, there's Gaahl, Rob Halford, and that tranny in Cretin. There's also Faust (of Emperor, who killed a queer), Nodtveidt (of Dissection, who killed a queer), etc.

Quote:
I'm actually asking this thread for personal reasons. I'm a metal fan and musician, and also I have strong homosexual feelings. People can't seem to see how someone who is like me can also be involved with a music genre which has a reputation for being homophobic.
Are you familiar with the term Fetish Skin? Some Queers were attracted the skin "scene", even though it was obviously homophobic - some for reasons overtly sexual, some claiming other reasons (which I find hard to believe). The same thing could occur with metal, especially the more extreme variants, as popular knowledge of the genre increases.