Music Banter - View Single Post - What Game Are You Playing Right Now?
View Single Post
Old 08-25-2011, 01:39 AM   #3687 (permalink)
Guybrush
Juicious Maximus III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rage Against the Machine View Post
Agreed, but it definitely wasn't as scary. The best part about the first one (or any good survival horror for that matter) was the desperation and helplessness, and the strategy when it comes to conserving ammo. The second still had tons of moments like that but it's kinda hard to be scared with a huge ass javelin gun
A sad thing about making a horror themed game is that there are always people who will rip on it if they don't **** their pants when they play the game. I personally don't think that scaring the **** out of people was ever the goal of the designers .. They wanted to create a game which is exciting and scary enough to be engaging and I thought they succeeded in doing so. You're quite right that it's hard to be scared when you are so very capable of defending yourself.

Luckily, Dead Space 2 does not rely on the player to be scared for them to enjoy it any more than f.ex Half-Life 2 did and so I think people should stop using it as an argument against the quality of the game. Generally speaking, it is scary enough even if that doesn't mean we all quiver and quake. To not sufficiently scare it's players would be much worse for a game like Amnesia: The Dark Descent which overall has less else to offer.