Music Banter - View Single Post - 50 Albums That May Change Your Life
View Single Post
Old 08-26-2011, 06:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
YorkeDaddy
silky smooth

Default 50 Albums That May Change Your Life

Hi. I'm YorkeDaddy. I'm the type of individual that likes to quickly integrate himself into a community, especially a musical community with as much intelligence and brilliance as this one. I'm also one to take on ambitious projects such as this one, and the type of person that likes to put his writing abilities to the test against some of the people on this forum who's writing talent is almost jaw-dropping at times. Those are the reasons why I'm doing this, and hopefully people will enjoy my writing and musical selections to the point where I can become a (decently) recognized member of this community.

Now, onto the actual musical analyses I plan on writing. I have compiled a list of fifty works of music that have changed me in some way over the years. They're not necessarily my favorites (although I do happen to love almost all of them), and they're not necessarily my picks for the 'greatest albums ever' or anything like that. This is still a countdown of sorts, though, in order of importance in my life. There were many to choose from, but only these select fifty have made my list, and I've decided to share my choices with the fine people of this forum. Hopefully some of you care to read about my choices and accept them for what they are, and hopefully some people will discover new music, which, that's a big reasons for why we're all here, right? To discover new music?

While in my circle of real-life friends I consider myself the one with the music taste that is by far the most bizarre, I'm sure my choices will probably be seen as "typical" among the members here. I assure you that I'm trying not to be classified as "typical," I just haven't been exposed to enough of the unique artists that are out there. Anyway, without further adieu, let's start my little list.

50. The Stone Roses - The Stone Roses
Genre: Britpop
"I Wanna Be Adored" – 4:52
"She Bangs the Drums" – 3:42
"Waterfall" – 4:37
"Don't Stop" – 5:17
"Bye Bye Badman" – 4:00
"Elizabeth My Dear" – 0:59
"(Song For My) Sugar Spun Sister" – 3:25
"Made of Stone" – 4:10
"Shoot You Down" – 4:10
"This Is the One" – 4:58
"I Am the Resurrection" – 8:12

I hate to start things off with such a cliche, but I really couldn't think of a better album to put down first here. How does one go about introducing an analysis of a record like this? A record that is almost universally considered by music critics and aficionados to be one of the greatest in the history of music? There really is no way to introduce an album that has been thoroughly discussed by so many people since its release in 1989. What I can talk about, however, is how it's influenced my life.

It's almost embarrassing to discuss the manner in which this record was introduced to me. I was a little boy in middle school that prided himself in wearing Linkin Park shirts and jammin' out to Avenged Sevenfold in my room at nights. For Christmas that year I was given Guitar Hero 3 for my birthday, which may just be the most used birthday present I've ever received. Nevertheless, I can confidently say that it helped introduce me to one of my favorite bands of all time.

Some of you may know that "She Bangs the Drums" is a bonus song in that game's setlist. Well, upon unlocking that song and playing it for the first time, it's safe to say I was slightly mesmerized. Never had a work of music ever made me feel so...blissful. The song invoked feelings of happiness in its purest form deep within my soul. There have been times where it's almost brought tears to my eyes. Tears of joy. When I heard the song, I felt blissful. Invigorated. Inspired. Could there be more music out there that can evoke such feelings? Is there more out there besides Three Days Grace and Breaking Benjamin?

I downloaded this self-titled record soon after and devoured each and every second of this magnificent work. It's safe to say that The Stone Roses was the first work of music I had ever listened to that was located strictly out of the mainstream rock scene. I had never experienced music with such lyrical elegance, such well-placed guitar and riff mastery. This is the album that introduced me to what music really can be. It can be emotional, it can be political, it can be powerful on more levels than simply anger or frustration. Every track is masterfully written with pristine focus and intricacy to the point of utter amazement, and it is for this reason that the album struck such a chord with me.

Over the years I discovered new bands through my further research into the realms of good music. The Stone Roses received less and less plays, as I had discovered new things. However, this record will always live on in my heart. I feel as if I'm truly in love with this album, and it's a love that will never fade.
YorkeDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote