Music Banter - View Single Post - 50 Albums That May Change Your Life
View Single Post
Old 08-27-2011, 11:26 AM   #10 (permalink)
YorkeDaddy
silky smooth

I love them too. That's why I'm doing this

P.S. the write-ups will get longer as I go along.

48. The Who - Who's Next
Genre: Hard Rock
Side one
"Baba O'Riley" – 5:08
"Bargain" – 5:34
"Love Ain't for Keeping" – 2:10
"My Wife" (John Entwistle) – 3:41
"The Song Is Over" – 6:14
Side two
"Getting in Tune" – 4:50
"Going Mobile" – 3:42
"Behind Blue Eyes" – 3:42
"Won't Get Fooled Again" – 8:32

I'm sorry to disappoint all of you, but not every album on here will have a strong back story regarding my discovery of it. Some albums will simply be lucky finds or quick downloads I decided to initiate on a simple whim. This is one of those cases.

I had heard of The Who, but honestly, who hasn't? I had friends, family, colleagues that talked about them, mostly positively but in some cases in a negative fashion. But really, why should I care? I just liked to jam out to the guitar solos by Avenged Sevenfold's guitarist who's name I can't even remember anymore. Nevertheless, one day I decided to see what all these mysteriously named guys were about. Were they really "the greatest rock band of all time", or were they just a generic late 60's act that would fail to impress me like so many had already done before.

I fire up Who's Next first, and I'm immediately taken on a ride by the incredible, world-famous introduction to Baba O'riley. It's very rare that a song leaves me in pure awe throughout it's entire duration. Well, Baba O'riley successfully did that to me. The lyrics spoke to me. The powerful all-major chord progression resonated within me. D Major, A Major, G Major, each chord vibrated through my entire being. The song summarized my years of teenage angst and inspired me like so many others before. I lived by this song, I thrived through its message.

Little did I know, the rest of the album would soon inspire me almost as much. Behind Blue Eyes's heart-breaking tale pulled at my strings like I was some kind of cheap beginner's mandolin. Won't Get Fooled Again was the most epic and politically inspiring song I had ever had the pleasure to listen to. For a large amount of time in my life, this was the only record I listened to, and remains my favorite Who album to this day, and that spot will never be replaced.
YorkeDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote