Music Banter - View Single Post - Opera lovers?
Thread: Opera lovers?
View Single Post
Old 08-30-2011, 12:07 AM   #32 (permalink)
Ska Lagos Jew Sun Ra
\/ GOD

Got some random operas at the library. Watched 'The Rake's Progress'(Stravinsky) which amused me quite a bit. Didn't musically astound me but I like the sarcastic very simple approach.

Watched a piece of Sadko which seemed very visually, and musically interesting.

Also have Verdi's Atilla which I hadn't cracked into yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monkey View Post
I've been to plenty of classical concerts, which I often enjoy thoroughly, but the only opera I can recall seeing is Die Meistersinger von Nürnberg by Wagner. I can't say I liked it, it was nearly six hours long (including the breaks), and the alleged "comedy" was completely lost on me. I appreciate the vast amount of work put in the opera, but it was simple too bombastic and glamorous for it to appeal to me. Maybe some other opera, perhaps by Mozart, would be a better starting point.
Not a big Wagner-ophile myself. I honestly thought his work was very ridiculously unsubtle to the point of insult.
Terence Hill, as recently confirmed during an interview to an Italian TV talk-show, was offered the role but rejected it because he considered it "too violent". Dustin Hoffman and John Travolta declined the role for the same reason. When Al Pacino was considered for the role of John Rambo, he turned it down when his request that Rambo be more of a madman was rejected.
Al Pacino = God
Ska Lagos Jew Sun Ra is offline   Reply With Quote