Music Banter - View Single Post - Nu Metal
Thread: Nu Metal
View Single Post
Old 09-01-2011, 11:04 AM   #253 (permalink)
Unknown Soldier
Horribly Creative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necromancer View Post
Progressive Metal is a sub-genre that has caught my interest lately, what bands would you suggest as being true progressive metal?
I know my names not Bastard but prog metal is something I listen to a lot of and first up I would say to you that its very distinct to prog rock. In that somebody who is say really into Yes is probably going to like or at least appreciate nearly all the other prog bands of that era such as Rush, Floyd, Crimsom and Genesis etc. Prog metal doesn`t really work like that, as the the type of metal used greatly ifluences the overall sound. For example, somebody thats really into Voivod extreme metal (thrash) mixed with prog, is probably not going to like Dream Theater melodic metal mixed with prog and AOR. Its really a case of finding what metal you like and can tolerate, because if you`re not into extreme metal bands like Voivod and Atheist, their material is probably just going to sound like a load of noise. Here are some bands and the ones I`ve highlighted are better to start with:

Voivod- Thrash metal with prog
Watchtower- Thrash metal with prog
Atheist- Death metal with prog
Tiamat- Death metal with prog
Dream Theater- Melodic metal with prog and AOR
Fates Warning- Melodic metal with prog (Ray Alder albums)
Symphony X- Symphonic metal with prog
Queensryche- Melodic metal with prog
Mastodon- Progressive sludge metal
Baroness- Progressive sludge metal
Opeth- Death metal with prog (but the band have mellowed into a prog rock act)
Porcupine Tree- Their prog metal albums
Anathema- Prog on some of their albums
Evergrey- Swedish prog rock/metal
Amorphis- Finnish prog rock/metal

and Pain of Salvation imo one of the great prog metal bands around but take some getting used to.

I could name you more, but considering that you`re a Steeley Dan fan best of with the melodic metal influenced stuff
Unknown Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote